The Source Vitál Approach to Skin Care & Beauty Ingredients
We believe beauty, cosmetic and skin care ingredients should not only be safe, but also deliver noticeable benefits.
Our products are made with:
- The highest quality seaweed
- Carefully selected plant botanicals and
- Powerful essential oils for a holistic experience
This cocktail works together to provide optimal nutrition to the skin and body. Our bodies, made from the same elements as the earth and the sea are better able to recognize and use the vitamins, minerals and vital nutrients of natural seaweeds, plant botanicals and pure essential oils. These active naturals reduce visible signs of aging, acne, dehydration, and inflammation.
In our approach to holistic health, we use only pure, gentle ingredients and no harmful toxins. How can you tell? Read our ingredient listings! We provide clear and concise listings for every one of our healthy products.
Globally Sourced, Made in the USA
We’ve spent nearly 3 decades in our quest to source the best ingredients in the world. We’ve traveled 4 continents, developed long-lasting relationships with suppliers and developed the highest quality ingredient array in the industry. The building blocks of our formulations come from all across the planet: Lavender from France, Australian Tea Tree, pure salts from the Dead Sea, and seaweed harvested from cold unpolluted waters, are just a few examples.
We personally select each ingredient used in making our product. Each essential oil, plant extract, seaweed and salt is carefully researched and tested. We bring all these ingredients home to formulate our products right here in the USA.
Safe, Gentle and Non-Toxic – What You WILL Find in our Products
Mineral-rich seaweeds: We use the highest quality seaweeds in our skin and body care products to deliver complete nutrition for all skin types and provide a detoxified, balanced look and feel. We primarily source our seaweeds from the cold, pollution-free waters of the coast of Brittany, France, the Northern Atlantic (Spirulina harvested in Asia). The algae (seaweeds) are carefully cut in order to leave a part of the plant for regrowth. Additionally, no chemical products are using in the rinsing or processing of the seaweed.
Whole plant botanical extracts: Our plant extracts are carefully chosen to offer the maximum benefit to skin, with results you will see and feel immediately. The basic biochemical elements in plants are more easily recognized and assimilated by the human body than those that are synthetically created – they work with the body, not against it.
100% pure essential oils:The pure essential oils we add to our formulations carry unique advantages for mind, body, and skin. We’ve created products that can be used on their own and those that are customize-able to effectively target a specific skin condition or state of mind. Essential oils are what give Source Vitál Apothecary products the delightful natural scent that has become our signature.
What You Will NEVER Find in our Products
- DEA/MEA/TEA: Abbreviations for diethanolamine, monoethanolamine, and triethanolamine, these ammonia compounds are added to cosmetics as emulsifiers and foaming agents. Ethanolamines are linked to cancer, organ toxicity, reproductive issues, and skin irritation.
- Formaldehyde: Some synthetic preservatives, like urea, release this carcinogen, which is also a skin and lung irritant, and organ- and neuro-toxin.
- GMOs: This is a term used widely in foods, but is also a concern in personal care, as in aromatherapy and essential oils. Certain crops are commonly contaminated with GMOs, like corn and soy. At Source Vitál Apothecary, we have spent years developing relationships with reputable suppliers that provide documentation stating that they do not use GMOs in any of their products.
- Heavy Metals (Metalloestrogens): Many common metals, such as aluminum, that show up in cosmetics are suspected hormone disruptors. Like parabens, they accumulate in the body. But metalloestrogens take longer to flush out, causing longer exposure to toxins. Heavy metal levels that are too high are thought to increase risk of cancer, cause developmental and reproductive issues, are organic and immune system toxicants, and may cause allergic reaction.
- Methylisothiazolinone (MIT): Widely used in cosmetics as a preservative, MIT is a potential neurotoxin and may impair fetal development. It has also been shown to cause allergic reaction. If a cosmetic product claims to be “paraben-free”, check to see if it contains MIT.
- Pharmaceuticals: Synthetic cosmetic ingredients are sometimes used to offer a quick fix by treating symptoms. But these man-made ingredients do not address the underlying problem, and can weaken and suppress the human immune system.
- Phthalates: Phthalates are often used in skin care, makeup, hair care, and nail polish, and are listed by the European Union (EU) as an “endocrine-disrupting compound of high concern”. They can also negatively affect fertility and fetal development. Phthalates are generally not found on ingredient listings because they fall under the federal “fragrance” loophole.
- Sodium Lauryl/Laureth Sulfate (SLS/SLES): SLS and SLES are esters of sulphuric acid used to make products like shampoo, face wash, and toothpaste foamy. They are known penetration enhancers, altering the epidermal structure and allowing other chemicals to more easily sink into skin, and are often contaminated with chemical carcinogens. These ingredients have also been shown to irritate skin and eyes, and may cause permanent eye damage.
- Synthetic Colorants: Artificial color ingredients are petrochemicals that are tested on animals due to carcinogenic properties. They also cause skin irritation, allergic reaction, acne, and possibly ADD symptoms.
- Synthetic Fragrances: You can usually tell if a product contains synthetic fragrance ingredients by the unnaturally strong scent, though some synthetic fragrances are used in “fragrance-free” products to mask scent. These chemical combinations cause everything from headache and allergic reaction to rash, respiratory distress, and possible reproductive issues.
- Talc: An ingredient that has been used for generations, talc can be contaminated with asbestos that can be a respiratory toxin and carcinogenic. It has also been lined to ovarian cancer.
- Triclosan: A heavy duty antibacterial and preservative used by hospitals, this ingredient can be found in hand soaps, hand sanitizers, and even toothpaste. But triclosan comes with a host of health concerns including possible contamination with chloroform and dioxins, skin, eye, and lung irritation, hormonal disruption, allergic reaction, organ toxicity, and bioaccumulation.
- Urea: A man-made synthetic used as a preservative and to make skin feel soft. It is also a known penetration enhancer, altering the skin structure so other chemicals can more easily make their way into deeper layers of skin and the blood stream. This chemical releases formaldehyde, a human carcinogen, and can lead to allergic reaction, reproductive issues, and skin and eye irritation.