- Drop a few pounds. The typical American diet consists of highly processed foods with lots of saturated fats. Switching to a plant-based diet can help you lose weight while also preventing diseases associated with obesity including heart disease and diabetes.
- Save money. This one should be a no brainer. Animal products cost far more than plant produce. Plus, sticking to a vegetarian diet may make you more prone to eat out less.
- Eat seasonal produce. By going vegetarian, you’ll have more options to eat food that’s produced locally. You’ll be able to support your local economy and your plate will likely be more colorful!
- Reduce your carbon footprint. Farming and processing of animals and meat takes its toll on the environment. Cutting meat out of your diet, even for just one day a week, will reduce your carbon footprint.
- Save water. The amount of water required to produce 2.2 pounds of beef ranges from 3,434 to 26,417 gallons. Producing 2.2 pounds of wheat takes 264 to 528 gallons. You do the math!
- Avoid pollution. Our streams, oceans and rivers get extremely polluted by animal waste, antibiotics and fertilizer. This type of pollution can have a huge impact on the quality of our water and the safety of aquatic life due to contamination and increases in algae blooms.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Fran Higgins is Source Vitál's in-house esthetician, massage therapist and aromatherapist. For more than two decades, Fran has been helping and educating customers with their holistic health needs. She brings a wide array of topics ranging from at home skin care tips, DIY aromatherapy formulas, step-by-step product protocols and much more.