Spa From Home - Detox Thermal Body Brushing
Revive the Body and Promote Good Health with this Natural Body Treatment
While your favorite spa is temporarily closed, there are at-home treatments you can do to give you the feel of a spa treatment and keep your body feeling healthy and well pampered.
One of the effective treatments we have taught our spa professionals throughout the years is called Detox Thermal Body Brushing, which helps support the body’s natural defense against illness.
It is a quick and easy holistic treatment combining essential oils, dry brushing and a hair dryer.
Why Dry Brushing?
The dry brushing is the most important part of this treatment.
It helps prepare the body for the treatment, removing dead skin cells and softening the tissue. The physical brushing also stimulates the body and increases the feeling of healthy circulation. The essential oils then work to activate the body’s natural defenses to create a deeper feeling of well-being. The heat from the hair dryer helps to accelerate the penetration of the essential oils.
It’s simple treatment with a great effect.
If you’re not familiar with body brushing, for more information check our how-to blog before you start your treatment.
SOURCE VITÁL APOTHECARY PROFESSIONAL TIP
Dry brushing is particularly helpful for those dealing with poor circulation, cellulite, dry/dehydrated skin, gooseflesh-textured skin, fatigue and when fighting illnesses like the cold or flu.
Spending a few minutes dry brushing before your daily shower in a great holistic ritual to add to your personal care routine.
- Natural bristle body brush
- Respiratory MultiSpray 2.23oz (with spray top) – a blend of essential oils emulsified in water
- Hair Dryer with adjustable speeds
- Towel (optional)
- Optional – finish the treatment with a hydrating body mist and body lotion/cream
Spray, Dry Brush, Hair Dyer
The Detox Thermal Body Brushing process is the same for each part of the body.
STEP 1: Spray the area with the MultiSpray
STEP 2: Turn on the hair dryer to a medium heat setting
STEP 3: With the dry brush in one hand and hair dryer in the other, begin dry brushing the skin following along with the hair dryer.
This will take a little practice to become comfortable. Try to keep the hair dryer moving – concentrating too long on one place could burn the skin.
Keep in mind the dry brushing technique used by professionals follows a specific order, that is designed to boost circulation and promote the healthy flow of fluids.
Generally the brush motions are done in an upward motion towards the heart or from the inner body, out towards the sides. Depending on the part of the body, you will usually start on the left side first, then brush the corresponding area on the right side of the body.
Use the following suggestions to treat specific areas of the body.
- Start with the left leg then continue with the right.
- Use 7 sprays of Respiratory MultiSpray per leg (covering the front and back of the leg)
- After applying the spray, starting with the foot brush the top of the foot with an upward motion.
- Begin brushing up the leg toward the ankle in the front and back, always following the brush strokes with the hair dryer. Continue working in a circular pattern up until to you get to the top of the leg.
- Repeat on the right leg – spray, then brush, following along with the hair dryer
- Start with the left hip, then continue with the right.
- Use 3 sprays of Respiratory MultiSpray on each side.
- Using the flat of the brush, brush from the crease of the buttocks outward towards the side of the body, working from the top of the leg up to the waist.
- Repeat on the hip area on the right side – spray, then brush, following along with the hair dryer
- Begin on the lower left side of the back then continue with the right.
- NOTE: It’s more difficult to do the back. If you have a dry brush with a detachable handle, attach the handle for the harder to reach areas.
- Use 7 sprays of Respiratory MultiSpray on each side of the back.
- Brush upward toward the under arm. Start at the waist, brushing the left side then right side, moving up the back to the level of the heart.
- Once you get to the upper back and the neck area, continue brushing toward the under arm, using a slightly downward motion.
- Repeat on the right side of the back – spray, then brush, following along with the hair dryer
- Start with the left arm then continue with the right.
- Use 7 sprays of Respiratory MultiSpray per arm (covering the front and back of the arm)
- Start at the wrist. Brush upward along the arm to the shoulder, working in a spiral circle motion from the front side of the arm around to the back and under arm area.
- Repeat the same process on the right arm – spray, then brush, following along with the hair dryer
- Start with the left side of the chest then continue with the right.
- Use 3 sprays of Respiratory MultiSpray for each side
- Brush the top of chest starting in the middle of the breastbone and brushing toward the under arm. Be very gentle brushing any breast tissue.
- Use the same brush motions under the breast, moving toward the under arm.
- Repeat the same process on the right side of the chest – spray, then brush, following along with the hair dryer
- Work the area below the belly button. Unlike the other areas of the body, you will brush in the direction of digestion, right to left and downwards.
- Use 7 sprays of Respiratory MultiSpray for the entire abdominal region.
- One the right side, brush 3 strokes upward towards the waist.
- Then brush 3 strokes across the abdomen right to left.
- Finish with 3 strokes in a downward direction.
- Follow along each brush stroke with the hair dryer.
You can finish the treatment with a moisturizing spray or lotion. Avoid taking a shower. You will want to allow for the maximum absorption of the essential oils in the spray.
The dry brushing will leave you feeling more energized. You may even notice a slight tingle to the skin.
For best results, dry brush every day before your normal shower. Perform this treatment, using the essential oil spray, twice a week if you are not feeling well, and once a month for general health.
Leave a comment