How to Protect Your Pout
From cleansers and creams to scrubs and serums, the true skin care junkie knows the importance of having a tried-and-true skin care routine. And while you always set aside time for your weekly mask or shower time scrub-down, there’s one area you’re probably neglecting.
Pucker up, because it’s time to give your lips a little love.
What Makes Your Lips Different?
It may seem obvious, but it’s worth noting that the skin of your lips is much different than the skin of your face and body. Not only is the skin of your lips very thin, but it’s devoid of sebaceous glands, meaning your lips are unable to self-lubricate the way the rest of your skin can through oil production. Your lips are also free of melanin, making them especially vulnerable to sun damage.
Causes of Lip Dryness
As we age, our lips tend to show signs of wear and tear more quickly than other areas of the face due to the thinness of that skin, as well as the lack of natural oil production. In addition to the natural aging process, outside factors can also irritate, dry out our lips, and speed up the aging process including:
- Sun exposure
- Wind & cold air
- Low humidity
- Licking your lips
- Frequent use of drying cosmetics like matte lipsticks
Healthy lip skin will appear full and hydrated. Lips in need of hydration will appear dry or flaky, feel tight, and fine lines will become very pronounced. Keeping tabs on the condition of your lips and taking preventative measures will go a long way in keeping them healthy and luscious!
Your Lip Care Routine
Luckily, reversing dryness and caring for your lips is relatively simple, and it shouldn’t add too many extra steps to your routine.
- Break the habit of licking your lips by keeping a natural lip balm in your favorite scent on hand to moisturize your lips throughout the day.
- Avoid balms that include petroleum-based ingredients, as these can dry out your lips over time. Instead, choose a balm containing high-quality oils like Vitamin E, coconut, or sunflower.
- If you’re going to be out in the sun, don’t forget to apply sunscreen to your lips! This key area is often forgotten, yet it’s the most susceptible to damage.
- To all those lipstick lovers out there – don’t worry, you don’t have to give up your signature look! Just be sure you properly remove your lipstick at the end of each day. Something gentle like our Micellar Cleansing Water is ideal for sensitive lip skin.
- If you bump the AC down at night or sleep with the ceiling fan on, it’s important to protect your lips from drying out overnight. Keep a balm in your bedside table so you can easily reapply before you call it a day. No one likes waking up to dry, tight lips!
- Gently exfoliate lips no more than once a week to remove dead, flaky skin and follow up with a balm to lock in moisture. It can be as easy as gently rubbing lips with a washcloth or an old (but clean) toothbrush.
- Never exfoliate lips that are already irritated!
Your lips are delicate, which means they require a delicate hand. By adding a few new habits into your skin care routine, you can cruise through the summer with lips that look and feel smooth, hydrated, and flake-free!